Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Compact Flash card reader speeds investigated

I thought I would do a bit of my own research into the difference in speeds between various card readers as I have been a bit disappointed in the transfer speeds of my photos when working on deadlines on my laptop. My test consisted of an arbitrary 1.36Gb of files transferred using three different card readers. A Sandisk Extreme USB2.0 reader, an Apacer MegaSteno USB2.0 all-in-one reader and another badged "mrgadget.com.au" 12-in-1 USB2.0 reader. I did all the tests using a brand new Sandisk Extreme IV 4Gb CF card.

Transfer files to computer using (seconds)
Sandisk Extreme USB2.0 88
Apacer MegaSteno USB2.0 174
"mrgadget.com.au" 12-in-1 USB2.0 207
Transfer files to CF card using
Sandisk Extreme USB2.0 139
Apacer MegaSteno USB2.0 171
"mrgadget.com.au" 12-in-1 USB2.0 265

I also gave the quickest reader (Sandisk Extreme USB2.0) a try with a Sandisk Ultra II CF Card with the results listed below.

Transfer files to computer using (seconds)
Sandisk Extreme USB2.0 136
Transfer files to CF card using
Sandisk Extreme USB2.0 154

So all in all, pretty happy with the transfer speed of the Extreme card reader when combined with the Extreme IV CF card. The Extreme Firewire reader is quite a lot quicker however unfortunately it only works with 6 pin and 9 pin firewire connections which rules out a LOT of laptops on the market (those equipped with only 4 pin connections)

0 comments: